Popular Posts

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Getting Back to Frugal from a Waste Mindset

When I was about ten, my father admonished me for throwing out a bottle of dishsoap. "It's not used up yet! See, that's what wrong with kids today, you waste everything!" I was ashamed, but no one had ever shown me how to use the last bit of soap by merely filling the bottle with water and using the suds. That kitchen encounter happened over thirty years ago, and now as a parent and bill payer, I notice how much waste there is in our lives. Frugality begins at home. I insist my children bring back any uneaten lunch (and all those plastic bags). I figure they should think twice before just throwing out their food. But what to do with all the little bits?

As a culture, we have lost so many of the people who survived the wars and the Great Depression, and that incredible collective wisdom on how to survive with very little, with no waste. I'm not talking about the millions of  poor souls who have to walk five miles for water or even the "Survivor" shows where people are marooned somewhere and must kill and eat things to survive until the next commercial. It's the day-to-day mindset of frugality and modesty that has left us, and we waste in such quantities that it's breathtaking. One study suggests that the average middle class American throws out over 30% of their food each year. Do you know how much you spend per month on groceries and eating out? I challenge you to tally up your receipts from one month and do the math; not as a wag my finger at you (tsk, tsk) but as a wake up to us all. We can do better and we can still feed ourselves well in doing so.

So, dear reader, herein begins a modest blog on saving money, and making the most of everything you have in your frigerator, freezer, and pantry at the same time. As a lover of food, I hope you will like the ideas and  occasional recipes because there really is no excuse for bad food. I'm not the first to say that; I heard Jeffrey Steingarten say so, (food editor of Vogue Magazine, food writer, and all-around super foodie,) and it's true.

There is no shame in frugality. Isn't it something to which we should all aspire? Perhaps in light of our Green Consciousness, we can also take on the challenge of using our food to its fullest. Currently I am cooking through my freezer and finding things I had forgotten about. A six month-old steak was defrosted and turned into stew in the crockpot, along with potatoes, carrots, and onions and a stale quarter-bottle of red wine from Trader Joe's. I think it cost $1.00 per serving.

I'm also attacking the door of condiments.

Mustard: (all of these ideas should be "to your taste" -- after all, it's your house.
* mix with plain yogurt, salt, pepper and horseradish or wasabi for a sauce for poached fish
* almost empty jar or bottle makes a fine salad dressing container. Add olive oil, mashed garlic, salt, apple cider vinegar and a dash of hot sauce
* mustard is what defines something as "devilled" so add it to egg, tuna, chicken, potato salad, etc.
* spread mustard on chicken skin and coat with breadcrumbs before baking or roasting
* mix mayonaise into mustard for your own sandwich spread
* my neighbor Greg adds honey, hot sauce, and mustard to cooked chicken wings for a lovely glaze; frankly it makes a great dip too
* rub mustard and brown sugar into the scored skin of a smoked ham while warming in the oven. You can stud it with whole cloves for dramatic effect
* a vegetarian friend serves mustard on the side of all her steamed vegetables (pierogi and knishes too)
* add to ground beef for that "je ne sais quois"


I'd love any ideas you have -- if you're reading and feeling generous, or hungry. I'm thinking of hitting the cheese drawer for my next blog, and there will always be a condiment corner. Also, I'll get those stats on food waste for next time. Until then, eat well, waste less, and be happy!

11 comments:

  1. Since I am a newbie blogger, bear with me while I figure out all the nuances to this program. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you impress me daily! :)
    Love,
    L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for a blog in this economy! I see you posted this before dawn. I guess the early bird gets things done. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great and I look forward to getting lots of ideas from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful ideas to share with others! I'll definitely try some of your resourceful tips...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, Rebecca! Great idea to start conversations on this! And when I think about waste, I also think about recycling. That was something we weren't conscious of growing up, but we are today. It's great to know that at least part of our trash can be reused instead of filling up landfill!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rebecca,
    Great idea! Being Dutch I always support frugality ;-) but great recipes even more! I'll be reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Blog! This is going to be terrific :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rebecca, this is so cool! I was waiting for the day when you'd do something like this. I love the mustard ideas...considering I'm married to a condiment junkie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally what I need! I would love to hear more on old stuff in the freezer. Kielbasa, ground beef, chorizo. I keep finding that kind of stuff in there.

    ReplyDelete